The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) is an initiative by the Malaysian Government to attract the best brain from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in critical fields in Malaysia. This scholarship aims to support Malaysian Governmentâ€™s effort to attract, motivate and retain talented human capital from abroad.
Talented international students with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcomed to apply for this scholarship and further their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and private universities. This scholarship is divided into two (2) categories of study: Postgraduate and Post-doctoral Studies
To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), applicants must fit the following criteria:
a) Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
b) Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Masters Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Masters degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study. In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright. The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
c) Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580, computer-based test with a score of at least 230 and internet-based test with a score at least 92.
d) In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
e) Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
f) Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
VALUE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Each scholarship consists of:
- a) Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- b) An approved tuition fees
- c) Monthly maintenance allowance
- d) Annual grant for books and internal travel
- e) Medical / Health Insurance
- f) Installation and Termination grant
- g) Thesis allowance (will be paid at the beginning of research (after proposal defense) and the balance will be paid only upon submission of the thesis) For PhD and Post-Doctoral only
* The Government of Malaysia reserves the rights to review the value of awards at anytime (and if such changes are made, the value of scholarship will be changed and the effective date will be informed to the successful candidates).
PRIORITY STUDY AREAS
Field of studies are in the following priority areas:
- a) Science and Engineering
- b) Agriculture and Fisheries
- c) Economics and Islamic Finance
- d) Information and Communication Technology
- e) Biotechnology
- f) Biosecurity and Food Safety
- g) Infrastructure and Utility
- h) Environmental Studies
- i) Health including but not limited to, nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy
* Applicants may choose any related course within the field/areas mentioned above.
Applications will be considered according to the following selection criteria:
- a) High-level academic achievement and at least 3 years relevant work experience
- b) The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well being.
- c) Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language
GENERAL CONDITION OF AWARD
- a) Scholarship holder must undertake full-time studies for postgraduate and post-doctoral studies at a campus of Malaysian Universities.
- b) It is the responsibility of the scholarship holders to confirm admission to the university.
- c) Scholarship holders must not change their programme during tenure of the scholarship except with written permission from their university and the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia.
- d) Scholarship holders must follow the approved programmes and abide by the university’s rules, regulations and codes of conduct. Any suspension from the university will result in immediate suspension of award. Monthly allowances are not payable during suspension, including suspension due to illness.
- e) It is the responsibility of successful candidates to apply for and meet the requirements for the issuing of an appropriate entry visa including medical examination. The offer of the scholarship does not guarantee the granting of a visa.
- f) Scholarship holders must maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by their host university and degree programme, or the scholarship will be withdrawn.
- g) The scholarships are tenable in Malaysian universities and research must be carried out in Malaysia.
- h) Scholarship holders are not allowed to take any paid employment during their tenure unless with written approval from the host university.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications should be made ONLINE through Ministry of Higher Education’s website at http://www.mohe.gov.my . The following documents must be attached with the online application form:
a) The applicant’s academic transcript
** Official translation in English is required if the transcript is in other language
b) Curriculum Vitae
c) Medical Report Form
d) Admission Letter from the university
e) English Language proficiency certificate (TOEFL or IELTS)
f) Two Letters of Recommendation
g) Endorsement Form
For further enquiries, please contact us :
MINISTRY OF HIGHER EDUCATION MALAYSIA
LEVEL 4, BLOCK 1, PJH TOWER
PRECINCT 2FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATIVE CENTRE
email : email@example.com
Tel No. : +603-8884 4600
Fax No. : +603-8884 4701