International PhD Programme in Molecular Life Sciences, Vienna Biocenter
A PhD at the VBC (Vienna Biocenter) usually lasts three or four years. The initial contract for incoming PhD students is for three years. If students are making progress in their research and would like to stay in the lab for an additional year, the thesis committee can grant an extension. All students are expected to complete their degrees within four years.
Getting into the VBC PhD programme requires three things: a written application, a personal interview, and a PhD position offer from a VBC group leader.
- Completed online application
- Two letters of recommendation
- A university degree that would formally qualify you to enter a PhD or equivalent programme in the country where the degree was obtained. We welcome applicants from the USA and the United Kingdom and we would ask you to contact the administrator for further details of how to apply
- less than 30 years of age at the time of application
Scholarship Application Deadline:
- Winter selection – 15 November (website opens for applications on 15 September)
- Summer selection – 15 May (website opens for applications on 1 March)